Monday, December 6, 2010

shape

" sensitivity I " by Sunyoung Kwon


Simplicity is a clean, direct expression of that essential quality of the thing which is in the nature of the thing itself. The innate or organic pattern of the form of anything is that form which is thus truly simple.
-Frank Lloyd Wright, F.L. Wright's Romance with Nature


The shape of branches have inspired me to create in many disciplines. One of them is printmaking. Through the use of printmaking, I applied the technique or method of using lines, and shape variations. Through the process of making a plate, inking, and printing, each print with several layers on a piece of paper creates a final piece of work. This acts as an influence of inspiration to me for my creativity.

"sensitivity I," for example, is a piece which includes natural symbols and experiments with the expression of layers. This work is a reflection of my sensitivity, which has been influenced by natural tree scenes of trees which have nothing but branches and fallen leaves. This work is one of two in my Sensitivity Series, all of which depict trees and fallen leaves. This piece shows the symbolic trees with its their intense red shades, falling leaves, and shadows. Behind the red tree in "sensivity," there is a distinct hidden white branch. Interwined with the red leaves are white leaves. With the black background, the consistencies of red and white stand out. Because of the curved shape of the leaves, the trees present more of an irregular shape. Several trees are places on the right side. One of them stretches its branches to the left side of the canvas. At the end of the branches, just a few leaves are hanging and seem to be falling. The white tree has branches on both the right and left side of the canvas to keep the work balanced and in proportion.

On the right side, two thin lines appear slightly showing the separation of the canvas into three sections. I have cut the end of the right side of the original piece of the plate before I have inked it. I would liked to express the partition of canvas in printmaking with two thin lines to dividing the canvas showing more tension in the mood of whole picture. If I had left the space longer between the canvas, it would not show the tension but would be more boring to see it. Because we have a kind of idea that printmaking has to be done with a plate fixed, regular rectangular size. I would like to slough off the general idea of the shape in printmaking. Even though this piece still remains as a rectangular shape, it is a first attempt of my trying for the exploration of shape.

In the metaphorical meaning of thiscreation, I have placed the transparent and overlapping of the layers of the leaves, where visual and spiritual signs constantly trespass into each other's territory. Through the use of the "mezzotint" technique, I created a soft, delicated mood which suggested a calm atmosphere look. Therefore, in this technique the curved and sharp lines show elegant and slender branches and leaves in this piece.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/63808134/sensitivity-i-original-printmaking-the

No comments:

Post a Comment