Sunday, February 13, 2011

affection I


My beloved husband was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia on January 15th, 2008.  He received a stem cell transplant on June 12th, 2008. Since then, with the grace of God, he has been recovering.

He is still fighting against the symptoms of side-effects and GVHD but he carries strong Faith with him wherever he goes...and I am inspired by it, and learns from it every single day. My words always, always, fails me in expressing all of this. But I always know that I am so very thankful and glad to be with him in my life. 

I think this photo I took on the day he started getting chemotherapy to prepare for the transplant describes very well about the situation that he was going through...
He told me that no one should ever have to undergo a chemotherapy... Before he received stem cell transplant he needed to get chemotherapy, very strong doses of chemo,...
to kill all his cancerous cells for the transplant. He also needed to take drugs to prevent the possible side-effects of the chemotherapy, and one of the drugs was designed to slow down his brain.
He was suffering more from the drug that was given to prevent one of the side-effects (seizure) of chemotherapy. He could not walk straight (people must have thought he was drunk), he could not think clearly, he could not come up with the words he wanted to say, he kept spilling things, and his legs were wobbling. Even to him, he looked funny, and I was laughing behind him. His brain was definitely slow, but it was a good day.

I love him even more today!

1 comment: